Question
Posted by: Cloe | 2004/10/26

Skipping

I would like to know how many "rope skips" would I have to do a day before it will be effective. Then I would also like to know if I run up and down stairs (8 floors) will it be effective or am I waisting my time. I also do basic exercises and would like to know is this will be enough to tone me before the holidays. I am not overweight, I weigh 58 and am 1.69 high. I would like to lose about 7 - 8 kilograms. I am trying to eat healthy and less and I am using Leanor drops. Please advise.

Hi Cloe

I can't give you a number unfortunately. Everyone is different and so it depends on you completely. WHat I can say is that in my experience, it's very difficult to skip for a very long time because the intensity is so high and it focuses so much on such a small muscle group that very often, people can only exercise for a short time. This means that for weight loss, skipping by itself is not the ideal exercise. It is not a bad thing, but you do just have to keep in mind that perhaps you need to combine skipping with other activities, just to build up the overall exercise time, in case you are skipping for very short.

Now, as for the rest of your programme, it is always better to do something than nothing, and if you find the running enjoyable, then go for it. The main thing is enjoyment, because that's what keeps you doing it for months and you need months to get fitter and stronger.

Now, the final and most important point is that you are already extremely lightweight - your BMI is only 20 and the normal value is about 22 to 23, with 25 still being considered normal. Therefore, you are acutally on the low side, and if you were to really lose 7 kilograms you would be seriously underweight. It would bring your BMI down to 17, and that is really very low and probably getting into the area of being unhealthy. Therefore, I would really really suggest that you change your focus - you don't need to lose weight, you don't have to worry about taking crazy supplements like Leanor, there's no point to it and it's just unhealthy. Exercise is great and by all means, I hope that you keep going with it, but try to change the focus of your training to get fit and have fun - counting jumps is not the way to go - just do it for fun and fitness and everything will take care of itself.