Question
Posted by: Ponee | 2019/03/05

Skipped a pill and had unprotected sex, chances of pregnancy?

hi, I have just started using trigestrel contraceptive pills ... started taking them on 10th Feb this year, yesterday I forgot to take a pill and had unprotected sex. am I at a risk of falling pregnant? is it safe to take a morning after pill ? I'm confused... please help, I have been relying on emergency pills for a long time.

- 2019/03/25

Dear Ponee,

If you have forgotten to take your pill on a particular day you should take it as soon as you remember and then take the next pill at the usual time i.e. you will take 2 pills the next day. As your missed pill was in the later phase of the cycle, the risk of pregnancy is less and it is not really necessary to take the emergency contraceptive pill.

Answered by Dr T Mohamed