Question
Posted by: Midnight | 2005/01/03

Skinny teenager now a fatty

I used to be thin as a teenager (53 KG) and even up to about 3 years ago. I started picking up weight just before I got married and now weigh a whopping 83 kg. I am 1.66 m tall.
I constantly have cravings for certain types of food (Avocado's, Salticrax, Marmite, peanut butter, etc.) and have tried to eat more fruit and veg, but just cannot manage to lose more than a few kg. HELP?

Dear Midnight
I wish you a Happy New Year. Seeing that your present BMI = 30,1, it would be a good idea to try and lose some weight. Food cravings such as the ones you describe tend to be learnt responses. You are reacting to what is called the 'hedonistic' attributes of fat. To lose weight you need to basically change your lifestyle. Reduce your energy intake by eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss' , ‘The right approach' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and increasing your energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life).
Holding thumbs that you can change your eating habits.