Question
Posted by: Skinny | 2008/05/21

Skinny

I am a 66 old male, who wishes he can put on a bit of weight. I am 1.73 in length i weight 62kg, my arms and legs look like sticks. No matter what I eat and the amount i eat i dont not seem to put any weight. I have had my thyroid tested and it came back normal.

I have ensure in the morning as i have never been able to eat breakfast then at about 11h00am I eat a banana. I might have a slice or 2 of toast in afternoon, a normal dinner at about 18h00.

This has been my problem all my life.

Skinny

Dear Skinny
You do realise that you are eating far, far too little to promote any weight gain? I have written some articles on the subject of weight gaining. For basic information click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Diet Basics' and 'Weight gaining' and read the articles. Companies like Fresenius Kabi and Nestle, among others, make meal replacement supplements Phone Fresenius on (011) 545-0000, or the Nestle Consumer Services at 0860 09 6789 and ask about Nutritional Supplements to boost your energy intake. You can purchase liquid meal supplements at most chemist shops. Talk to the pharmacist about your need to gain weight and see which products he or she will recommend. Basically you need to eat more food either by gradually increasing how much you eat at each meal, or by taking supplements IN ADDITION to your regular meals (not to replace meals), or by having more snacks between meals. If you use a meal supplement such as Fresubin, with or without fibre, at the rate of 200 ml 3x a day, then you should gain 1 kg per week. Feedback from other Readers has indicated that they have successfully gained weight by using a meal supplement. But you won't gain any weight until you organise your life and eat more at all meals and in between meals.