Question
Posted by: tori | 2008/05/22

skincueticals

Hi anti- aging doc. I would to know what your opion is about the skincueticals products ferrulic ce which everyone is raving about in the state and skinny radical reconstruction cream which reported to have very small molecules and would like be the best to buy this product and dont you inport then so that we can buy it and you always advise that we use zinc oxcide in sunblock and it make me so white and I am coloured I am currently using clinique which has oxybenzone is that fine and I would like to buy lancome sunblocks which has mexoryl xs which is fda approved to block uva is it worth it

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Tori, thank you for the question.

Skin Ceuticals is an excellent range and their CE Ferulic is a good anti-oxidant for the skin. However, you will get the same anti-oxidant benefits using Prevage or Prevage MD. I unfortunately cannot find any information on ‘skinny radical reconstruction cream’. We cannot import Skin Ceuticals into SA as the agency belongs to L’Oreal and they should be selling this range in SA soon.

A good quality SPF that contains zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide should not make your skin turn white or have a greasy feel. We sell a number of sun protection products that contain these ingredients (my preference is Heliocare Gel SPF 50) and it definitely does not turn the skin white or leave a greasy feel. In fact the majority of women apply makeup immediately after the sun block has been applied.

As regards oxybenzone my advice is to stop using this product immediately as there is a possible link with sun exposed oxybenzone and the increase of free radical damage to the skin and DNA mutation which may ultimately lead to higher chances of skin cancer. Avobenzone, which is also used in a number of sunscreens, is not stable when exposed to UVA rays and will only supply a limited protection to the skin for short periods of time.

Both Mexoryl SX and Mexoryl XL need to be in the sun block to offer the best protection for your skin and both are safe to use with very little systemic absorption and no evidence of any skin cell mutation. However, Mexoryl SX and XL do not cover the entire UV spectrum and one should supplement your SPF with a broader cover.