Question
Posted by: Simba | 2006/11/08

Skin problem?

Good day

My dog, a Chow about 8 months old we ghes seems to have a verry bad skin eritation on his right bum. he is bitting his bum and remove al the hare in that area His skin now looks red and bloody.

We have found this dog in a field. He was homeless and looked
verry terrable. He has sins recoved fully.

Please can you tell what I can use to make this problem go away?

Karen

This can be as a result of a flea infestation but can also be what is known as a "hot spot". Please have your vet check the dog over and treat him accordingly.

2
Posted by: Blaah | 2006/11/09

I have chows mixes and this sounds like "hot spots" to me (big problem in chows, especially this time of year) and are a real pain in the *ss (excuse the pun), take the dog to the vet he will be able to recomend treatment and perhaps a change in the dogs diet to help combat the problem.
removing the hair from the effected area was a good idea, as this helps the healing process by exposing the sores to air, remember to keep the area clean and dry

Reply to Blaah
Posted by: Chill | 2006/11/08

It's easy - you take him to the vet. We can't tell you what is causing this, and unless you find the cause, you won't know how to treat it.

Reply to Chill