Question
Posted by: DE | 2003/12/15

Skin problem

My 4 month old Basset Hound seems to have developed some sort of a skin problem which I only noticed yesterday. His tummy and chest has round dry spots on (it looks like dry skin peeling of), its not red but it does seem itchy, im wondering if he is allergic to grass or food etc? Im only taking him for his injections next week, but im not sure whether I should wait that long to get his tummy checked out? Is there a ointment I can use in the meantime or will it be ok to wait until next week?

There are two main possibilities, in my cyber opinion: demodectic mange, a skin mite infection or ringworm, a fungal infection. Your vet will be able to test which one of these two it is, or whether it is something else like a skin irritation. Both conditions are common in puppies, and can be very successfully treated. I would suggest you go see your vet as soon as possible, he can then advise whether the vaccinations should be performed at the same time or not.

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town