Posted by: Anonymous | 2009/07/21

Skin Lightening

Hi, pls help I have really dark circles under my eyes. I have a medium skin tone but i battle to cover up the dark circles and if i do its so obvious. It really looks like i havent slept at all. I have tried every cream out in the market expensive and cheap nothing seems to work. It really is depressing, is there some sort of skin lightening i can do to help? A dermatolgist once told me that they inject steroids around the eye area but im a bit skeptical of injecting anything around my sensitvie eyes.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Anonymous, thank you for the question and my apologies for the delay with my answer.

‘Dark circles’ around the eye area are caused by a number of factors and ideally one would need to examine the skin clinically and using a VISIA (computerized skin analysis) to help identify these causes so that the appropriate treatment regime may be prescribed.

The commonest causes for ‘dark circles’ are:

Pigmentation: topical products such as NeoStrata’s Pigment Lightening Gel (at night) and Brightening Cream SPF 15 (daytime) can improve the area; pigment removal using skin rejuvenation technology such as Fraxel, Syneron eMax, or IPL may be considered.

Superficial veins: skin rejuvenation or laser vein removal should be considered.

Tear Trough Deformity: this is a loss of supportive fat in the tear trough resulting in the skin to fall onto the bony area. This allows a shadow effect which may aggravate the appearance of pigmentation. Furthermore, the skin may become closer to the venous plexus (collection of tiny veins) and the best treatment option is to give the skin support with the use of fillers. Fillers in this area should only be performed by an experienced dermal filler medical doctor and who is trained specifically in this difficult area.

Occasionally patients present to me with a combination of these causes and one would need to treat accordingly.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.