Question
Posted by: Cooks | 2004/11/03

Skin infections/allergy

Sir, I suffer from a skin "infection" yet to be cured. The more I cut out, the worse I get. It starts with a buring sensation (hands), dried skin, flaking, swelling etc. I have no fingerprints left at all. Now it is all over my body. I have been to two specialists, spent thousands on cures, had patch tests, and the only thing in the end, if I am in real pain, is to have a cortesone injection. I am alergic to the sea, salt, fish, you name it. This I tested for myself. (I am in the mid 50's) I was told it was hair folical something or other, tried the creams. No good. What else is left for me to do? I have suffered like this for the past 5 years. (now my glands swell as well. )

Cooks, your symptoms are not specific enough to make a diagnosis on from this side of the screen. The best would be to see a good dermatologist and have a diagnosis made. If you live in or around Pretoria I can refer you, but otherwise you will have to ask your GP to refer you. Good luck.