Question
Posted by: Henry | 2007/04/18

Skin cancer Bullterrier

What are the symptoms of skin cancer on dogs? My bullterrier has very bad skin irritation and the antibiotics from the vet don’t work any more. Is there something specific I can ask the vet to give him?

Early signs may resemble a rash d advanced signs will be non healing ulcers. Please have you vet take a biopsy of a number of sites for the lab to help with a diagnosis. Once a diagnosis is made a specific treatment can be instituted. Unpigmented areas will need a high factore sun block applied to them.

4
Posted by: SUN | 2007/04/18

Sorry to hear about your bullterrier. We had a bullterrier years ago with bad skin problems - he was allergic to grass, cement and even the sun and we were told to keep him away from that which is impossible and unfortunately too much cortisone medication prescribed by the vet(at the time it seemed the only thing that helped) and we had to have him put down in the end. We fed him on raw tripe and tried everything to solve the problem. Hopefully, there are more products on the market now that could help - I hope so for your dogs sake. Good luck!

Reply to SUN
Posted by: Cat Lady | 2007/04/18

Sorry, I mean bull terrier!

Reply to Cat Lady
Posted by: Cat Lady | 2007/04/18

It is Predniselone. Take the boxer for a cortisone injection - it works straight away and then ask for the cortisone (the Pred) tablets.

Works like a charm.

Reply to Cat Lady
Posted by: Tracy | 2007/04/18

My boxer has a type of skin cancer. Her skin is very itchy, and she will scratch until she bleeds. For this she has a cortisone tablet that helps her, and works well. (Predniselone ? sorry cant read vets writing). Her skin cancer does form tumours, and she has already had one cut out. She is due for two more to be cut out, not easy as they have to remove quite a bit of skin around the tumour, so the one on her lip cant be removed.
All the best.

Reply to Tracy