Question
Posted by: Paul | 2004/03/02

SKIN & BONES

I'm 18 yr old boy. 1.89m tall. 48kg. I eat normal. I don't excercise much. Desperately wants to gain weight.

Dear Paul
Your present BMI of 13,3 is very, very low. It would be desirable for you to gain at least 20 kg so that your BMI = 19, which would put you back in the normal range (18-25). It may be a good idea to have a medical checkup just to rule out underlying problems such as hyperthyroidism and malabsorption. Because it is just as difficult to gain weight, as to lose it in individuals who are overweight, I have written some articles on this subject. For basic information do a Search on the Health24 Website with 'To gain weight' and read the articles. I have just heard that Fresenius Kabi have a supplement called Fresubin (with or without fibre) that can assist with this problem. Phone Magda on (011) 203-2000 or 083-603-2231 and ask her about this Nutritional Supplement.

1
Posted by: Neil | 2004/03/02

I was also very light when I was 18. You obviously have an extremely fast metabolism and loads of energy. Believe me when I say that when you get older your metabolism will slow down (it starts slowing down after 18 every year and slows down faster the older you get). When this happens you should fill out a bit naturally. However, at 13 your BMI, does reflect that you are underweight. You should be around 17 to 22 at your age. Don't be too hasty to try and gain weight too quickly. Get to the gym and try doing some weight training 3 or 4 times a week. After gym have a protein shake and throw in a banana or 2. That worked for me when I was 18. Creatine at your age will also be beneficial to bulk you up a bit, but don't use it for more than 3 months at a time then take a break from it for a month. Dont do creatine for more than a year or two and remember to break the cycle. Consider your current body to be an excellent frame to build what you want on to it. Just be sure that it's not fat that you put on that frame. Eat a good diet, don't use beer to add the weight you want, don't eat junk food or processed foods, but do eat lots of good proteins, nuts, meats, vfruit and veg to feed that veracious metabolism of yours.

Reply to Neil