Question
Posted by: Hope* | 2007/12/04

SKIN

Hi CS and all. I hope you dont mind CS, I know this isn't the forum for this, but H24 has a very good article on the main page- KNOW YOU SKIN - its important to remember when going out and frolicking in the sun this December to protect your skin and especially those of your children. I am totally amazed at how I still see parents not applying sunblock to their children's skins. Coming from a fair skinned family I know the effects of the sun and have seen how often the older people in my family have to continuously go and have all sorts of funny things removed - check out the pics of moles.

Good advice, as usual, Hope*
Its interesting how fashions change. With all the popular movies about Queen Elizabeth 1, one's reminded that for ages it was fashionable for Europeans to have only the whitest of skins, to the point that some painted their face with white lead-baased paints and even got lead poisoning. Being very pale proved that you were rich and superior because you didn't have to work, which almost always involved going out under the sun. Only quite recently, when workers had predominantly to work indoors and got pale, and only the rich, especially in Europe, could afford to travel to tropical sun and were so idle that they could lie around in it and get brown, did tanning become fashionable, and being pale became unfashionable.