Posted by: Mien | 2008/07/10

Skew Teeth

Dear Cybershrink,

I have very skew teeth. I am too afraid to get out there and enjoy life. My parents never bothered even though i begged them when i was a teenager,because i was constantly teased and embarissed.I have nt been to a dentist in years, because my teeth are super skew, i struggle with them getting rotten and falling out because i cant brush or floss everywhere. I resent my parents for this every day , they send my brother for braces years after i begged them and his teeth wasnt that bad!!! I am always the quiet girl in the corner too afraid to open my mouth to speak or smile, i dont make friends easily because everyoe thinks im shy and unfriendly. This is not my personality,im not shy at all around my family or closest friends, but with new peolple i quickly shy away. Im 27 now and think this has effected me more than i know. We recently moved to a small town where everyone knows everyone and i break out in the sweats if i have to meet anyone. My husband doesnt understand this but its hard for me to describe how i feel when i talk to someone for the first time and they keep staring at my teeth!! A lot of things happen in my head and as a result i hate kissing my hubby or if he whatches my mouth when i speak i get aggressive.. What can i do? Im so shy to go to a dentist and im not sure i can afford the surgery its going to take to fix it. And is surgery going to fix the pain i have on the inside of everytime someone teased me or made funny remarks at my teeth?

So you're very troubled by your skew teeth, to the point of accepting growing damage to them, rather than to see a dentist who might be able to correct them, completely or even partly ? Its highly likely that nobody else notices your teeth or thinks about them in the way you do. But check out what a dentist could do --- and seeing a psychotherapisv/ counsellor, p[referably of the CBT type, could help heal that sense of hurt and low self-esteem that causes most of the pain.

Posted by: Anonymous | 2014/05/29

Iam still a student but my teeth are very skewed. I dnt know wht to do because my mom is unemployed. plz help me if u can. I can send the pics of my mouth if u interested to have a look

Posted by: Me | 2008/07/11

Hi Mien - I had the same problem - and I had mine fixed at 26! When I got engaged I decided there is no way I am going to look like that on my wedding photo's so I had braces for 14 months and it is perfect now.

By the way - speak to your dentist - these days they can even put the braces at the back of the teeth so it is no longer visible. But - this cost a bit more and medical aids will not pay for that - but maybe you can offer to pay the difference yourselve.

Reply to Me
Posted by: xjf | 2008/07/10

I must have the most ugly teeth in the world! They are so skew, i don't even think a dentst would know where to! I remember as a child wanting braces and my dads reply was this "maar jou tandtjies gee karakter", hence my nickname-tandtjies! (stil at the age of 37). I was spitting mad, this was serious shyt!
Anyway, I have realized that it's your personality that matters. Who you are inside, not what you look like.
Yes, I still find myself getting a fright (in the mirror) now and again. That's my story with my uglies.
I agree with Lin, go see a dentist and get braces... there is nothing worse than feeling self concious

Reply to xjf
Posted by: Lin | 2008/07/10

The best thing to do now is do it for yourself. Fine, your parents didn't take you to get braces, but there's nothing stopping you to get them now! Do something about your teeth if it bothers you.
Everyone has something that bothers them. Nobody's perfect. But you can help yourself and visit the dentist to get the braces. You'll feel much better about yourself if you do something about it.
PS: You have your hubby who loves you just as you are, so I do believe you are beautiful (even if you don't feel so somedays)

Reply to Lin