Question
Posted by: nix | 2004/10/18

skew nose!

i have always had a large nose and recently my septum has grown incredibly skew! i suffer from sinus problems due to the major deviation of the septum and it is also very unattractive.

i consulted a E,N,T who said he works in conjunction with a plastic surgeon. he calims my nose will droop if i dont have the plastic surgery at teh same time as i have my septum straightned .. i would also like to change the shape of my nose.. jus twhile im there? how does medical aid view this sort of case?

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Nix,

Your ENT is absolutely right - you should always have nasal cosmetic surgery done by both an ENT and a plastic surgeon. These two specialists focus on different aspects - the ENT has to make sure that your nose is still functional after the cosmetic surgery, as a beautiful nose is no good if you cannot breathe!

We usually write a motivational letter to the medical aid, explaining why this surgery is important from a functional point of view. Depending on the regulations of the particular medical aid, we usually gain approval for such procedures.