Question
Posted by: maws | 2004/11/04

sixty plus

I am 62 and have been very inactive for the last few years. I am looking for advice on achieving fitness (for my age) and body toning (that stomach!) which suits my age. Where do I start? At the moment I walk 1 km to town daily and the same distance (steep uphill) back home, but I need to move from there. Please help!
Maws.

I agree completely with what Teddy says on the forum - spot reduction is a myth, it doesn't work and so what you should aim for is overall fitness gains and the rest will take care of itself. Now, going about this is quite tough. The first thing is to make sure that you are medically cleared for exercise. As you get older, starting any exercise programme becomes a little more complicated and I do suggest that you check with your doctor before starting that everything is OK to exercise.

Once you start, the ultimate goal is to do 4 or 5 days a week of about 30 to 45 minutes. However, you have to build up slowly, or you will injury yourself. My advice is that you do one of our Shape Up programmes, which you will find at the following address:

http://www.health24.com/fitness/Getting_started/16-474-488,24069.asp

Here you will see a number of options for training programmes. My advice would be to choose the Shape up for Summer programme (the first or second one) and then go for that.

1
Posted by: teddy | 2004/11/06

It is a scientific fact that one can not " spot reduce ". You have to look at this to a whole body perspective. In order to loose weight you have to train 4-5 times a week for 30-45min workout. You have to do cadio workout for example running, cycling etc. Do this workout at a good pace where you feel your heart rate and motabolism are elevated and work up a good sweat. My advice start gradually at 15-20min then work yourself up to 30-45min.

Having said that it is also good to do some weights and tonning exercises. You can find these exercises as well as programmes on this website in the fitness section. Diet is also important so eat healthy and train well.

You are not alone many people find it hard to loose weight on the tummy , love handles, thighs. Loose the weight slowly and properly and it is gaurenteed to stay off , dont try starving yourself and traning for long hours and feeling exhausted you are doom to fail and injure your body.

Good Luck :) you on your way to fitness.

Reply to teddy