Question
Posted by: Carol | 2004/10/14

Sit back and think how fortunate u are sometimes

I was just thinking ... I so often sit and complain .. Complain about money .. lousy work situation etc.

I was chatting to hubs about the work situation that im now thankfully leaving .... Hubs and I are still young .... we dont have dependant children and we are debt free .

My boss is 58 ... he has driven me normal at times .. but his age and circumstances are ghastly ... he has just bought a house .. and I honestly cant see this company staying open after December.

We have 11 African staff .. the one old soul is 68 he has 32 children and his pension fund is a fantastic R4500.00 its a total disgrace that any company can expect their staff to retire on this .. he ahs worked for this company for 15 yrs ... the rest of the staff all have debt problems and small children .. there is no other work for these poor sods and they are paid horribly ...Now i agree that the old gent shoudnt have had 32 children is hardly the point .. even with no children he cant survive on that measly amount of money !!!

Hubs and I are ok .. we can make a move .... but what about the rest of them ????

Stephen has started collecting stray kids like I collect cats ... the youngster he has brought home tonite is 18 .... no mother , father has disappeared and he lives with a sister who cant feed him.
How do people live such tragic lives ???

It breaks my heart ... and then we complain!!!

Hello Carol,
Worthy, thought-provoking comments ! I suppose what feels to us like a disaster is in proportion to our way of life, situation, and expectations. And in an odd way, people who have regularly faced challenges do become more capable of handling it, and some of the most proiileged can become the most vulnerable. I remember well being called to see a young Arab oil sheikh, a multimillionaire, who had just discovered that his wife was terminally ill, and he was in a frenzy. Apart from all the normal and usual emotions, for the first time in his entire life, he had come upon something he wanted terribly badly, and could not buy.
But yes, maybe we all could do with spending a bit more time appreciating what we have, rather than bemoaning what we don't yet have. If we have enough, through ou own hard work, we needn't feel guilty about that , but to the extent that we have more than we need, we ought to think about ways of sharing, money, things, and time.

3
Posted by: Feeling the Same | 2004/10/15

I have to agree with you, every day from Sandton I drive down Kathryn and see several street kids, mother with babies begging for anything, every 'gift' how small is much appreciated. It break my heart to see these kids out on the street. Then I was listening this morning to 702 and John was discussing this little 6 year old girl begging at a busy off ramp. Yes, its wrong and the mother got a scolding from a metro police officer for endangering the child. I can understand why she did what she did, people are more prone to give to a small child than a grown up.

How many times I wish I was stinking rich, I'd be able to set up a centre for all the destitute poor people. Help in a way. Currently I'm helping where I can, giving - how small, to these people. To make me feel better, not feeling so guilty as to the fact I have foood at home, warm bed, warm clothes....

There is probably people who feel that I should rather give to the salvation army, cotlands and yes, there are a lot of charity organisations, problem is these people that I see on a daily basis have become part of 'my life'. If I donate to the abovementioned charities, it will reach other people, but not these I see every day!

I would be out begging as well if I had kids to support, anyway to ensure my kids at least have some food on the table. So think again, when you turn and say no to these people!

Reply to Feeling the Same
Posted by: Mindful | 2004/10/15

I agree with you Carol.

How many times have I complained "I have nothing to wear" with a cupboard full of clothes...and there are people out there that don't even have clothes. I am so ashamed of myself sometimes! Here I am, thinking my world has come to an end because of some bad things that have happened to me, and yet there are people out there who have suffered 10 times more than I have, and overcome it.

Reply to Mindful
Posted by: Mindful | 2004/10/15

I agree with you Carol.

Reply to Mindful