Question
Posted by: Karen | 2007/05/11

Sisters Dilemma with her Son

My sisters son is 20 years old but acts 17. I desperately want to help her find a solution. He didn't do well at school and dropped out of college. His father committed suicide when he was 9 years old (my sister was divorced from his father at the time). He has successfully been dismissed from his one and only job to date, lies to my sister,drinks and smokes dope, and has no respect for my sisters feelings or things. My sister opened up her home to him again recently but he has totally abused her kindness. He is verbally abusive to her when drunk, then the next morning doesn't remember a thing. A year ago he was physically abusive to my sisters boyfriend whilst intoxicated. He has been to several therapists which have been successful for a while. Where to go from here she is on the verge of a nervous breakdown.

I tend to agree with Ghetto, that he should face criminal charges the next time he is abusive or assaultive, and be required to face reality. Tough love should be explored.

1
Posted by: Ghetto | 2007/05/11

it sounds as if he is really out of control!!!!!!!!!!!! If it were my son doing that - i would without a doubt call the cops on him and once he's been locked up for a few days- he will come to his senses and think 100 times the next time he thinks of attacking anyone.

Reply to Ghetto