Question
Posted by: Andy | 2006/07/25

Sinus/Nasal Polyps

To whom it may concern: I wish to find out how someone prevents or manages the prevention of Sinus/Nasal Polyps, I assume these are caused by environmental conditions and allergies?

Thanks in advance

Dear Andy
Prevention
In many cases, polyps can't be prevented. But if you have asthma, hay fever or chronic sinus infections, managing your symptoms may reduce the chances that polyps will develop or recur. That means taking medications as your doctor suggests and avoiding — as much as possible — indoor and outdoor allergens and pollutants.
Irrigating your sinuses with salt water may help relieve mild nasal congestion and eliminate mucus. Avoid OTC saline sprays that contain additives such as benzalkonium, which can actually inflame the mucous lining of your nose and exacerbate your symptoms. Instead, look for preservative-free saline sprays.
To make your own saline solution, mix 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon baking soda in 8 ounces of warm water. Pour some of the solution into your cupped hand and sniff into your nostrils. You can also inject the solution using an ear bulb or syringe. Then gently clear your nose with a tissue. (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/nasal-polyps/DS00498/DSECTION=9)