Question
Posted by: Lee | 2003/03/03

Sinusitus that wount clear up

I've had sinusitus now for 3 weeks, with a constant cough. I've been on 2 different cources of antbiotics, but nothing, still stuck with the blocked nose, blocked ears and the coughing is driving me mad, especially at night. Think it is a sinus drip... Can you suggest anything.. Working with people that smokes alot, can this be the reason for my sinusitus not clearing up after two different cources of antibiotics....

Lee, it all depends on what the cause of the sinusitis is. If it is due to the smoke all the antibiotics in the world won’t clear it up. If you don’t have a fever and don’t suffer from muscle pains, chances are good that it’s due to an allergy. The best treatment then would be to use a steroid nasal spray like Flixonase® and if that doesn’t do the trick you can add a long-acting antihistamine like Clarityne®, Deselex®, Kestine®, Telfast®, etc. Good luck.

1
Posted by: anxious | 2003/03/03

Have you been taking a good antihistamine? I had a bad sinus infection about 2 wks ago and my GP gave me an antibiotic injection (for my sinuses), an antibiotic and a very good antihistamine (Clarityne DOD). I suffer terribly when I get my sinus infections and I find a good antihistamine helps with my blocked nose. The night before I eventually went to see my GP (I had been suffering from a sinus headache for a week or two), I couldn't breathe my nose was so blocked. After I started taking the antihistamine, I noticed a difference straight away in my nose becoming unblocked. Try a good antihistimane, it might help. I know all about sinus infections, they make you feel awful!

Reply to anxious