Question
Posted by: Dannii | 2003/01/16

Sinusitus

Have you got any advice for OTC medications for sinusitus? I feel like I want to cut of my head it's so bad. Is it normal for your neck to also hurt, to get nauseas and dizzy? I can't get to a doctor anytime soon.

Dannii, you can try taking a combination of an anti-inflammatory (e.g. Voltaren®), a flu preparation (eg. Flustat®) and a nose spray (e.g. Drixine®). If that doesn’t work you will have to add an antibiotic to the mix. Good luck.

2
Posted by: PETE | 2003/01/17

As a severe sinus sufferer, yes, an antibiotic might be needed if there is an infection but nothing beats the age old remedy of sniffing up a solution of warm water with a pinch of salt and bicarb about 4 times a day when the sinusitis is really bad. Also, try to eliminate dairy products from your diet - it might help too! Myprodol helps for the inflamation of the sinuses as well as for the sinus headache.

Reply to PETE
Posted by: anxious | 2003/01/16

Most bad cases of sinusitis probably need antibiotic treatment. I suffer from chronic sinusitis, but get most of my cases in winter. I would say one of the best things I have found that relieves my sinusitis symptoms is a good strong nasal spray and something good for my terrible sinus headaches I get. One of the nasal sprays I have often used is Nasomixin - I find it very strong and very good, but this is only available on prescription.

You might find your symptoms get the better of you and you end up getting suitable treatment!

Reply to anxious