Question
Posted by: Janine | 2003/02/25

Sinusitis & diet

Hello, I have been suffering from a bacterial infection in the form of sinusitis for a few weeks now which has been treated with antibiotics. I do not eat well and am overweight. Could you tell me which foods are particularly bad to eat with this sinusitis? Could I be allergic to say dairy products or maybe wheat that is aggravating the sinusitis? Thanks

Dear Janine
I would advise you to have your dr check your sinusitis again because you may well have a chronic infection caused by certain bacteria which may require additional antibiotic treatment and/or physiotherapy. Self-diagnosis of allergies is not a good idea as you may erroneously cut out important food groups and develop deficiencies. Chat to the dr if you suspect that you may be allergic/sensitive/intolerant to foods and other factors (dust, seeds, pollen) and have him/her do the appropriate tests. If you are sensitive to a food, then we can have a look at the type of diet you require.
Take care

1
Posted by: Av | 2003/02/28

I have also suffered from sinus over the years. When I went to a homeopath, she gave me a list of things which aggravate sinusitis. These are : dairy, wheat, oranges and bananas. Obiously this cuts out quite a bit. I find if I eat bananas, my sinus flares up, so I think each person may be differently effected to a certain food and you just need to see what aggrevates you the most. The other suggestion which I have found, as I am also overweight is that I have gone to Weighless and am on a proper eating regime which I also feel helps for the sinus. Also, I feel drinking a lot of water also helps. Hope this is of some help. Good luck !

Reply to Av