Question
Posted by: Mel | 2007/12/21

Sinus - please help

Dear doc,

I get severe sinus attacks every so often. I have one at the moment and it feels as if somebody hit me in the face with a baseball bat. I don't want to run off to my GP every single time this happens, to get antibiotic. Is there anything I can buy over the counter or something else I can do to relieve this pain which is driving me mad. I also have a post-nasal drip at the moment.

Dear Mel

Thank you for visiting health24.com.

You can try Dimatab tablets in the acute phase of your sinus attack and ask your GP for an injection of Celestone Soluspan to cover you for extended periods. This is a long acting cortico-steroid that is safe and quite often used.

Try nasal irregation with salt water in the acute phase to help loosen the phlem.

Kind regards