Question
Posted by: SINUSLY SPEAKING | 2005/06/29

SINUS OR VIRUS

I've been to my doc 3 x and they say this is probably a virus, but please help as its driving me crazy. For some background I have allergic asthma all my life which is well controlled on inhalers & nasal spray & Zyrtec in bad patches like change of season.

I have what I feel is a sinus infection (sinus headache, slight fever, tired, runny nose, swollen glands, burning throat and not feeling too well). With me it always starts off as an allergy and usually goes away. However this comes back every 2 weeks. I've been taken Locabiotol for a week at a time (2 puffs in each nostril twice daily) and it goes away. I feel great, and then within a week its back. I take 1 x Zyrtec every day for allergy. If it was not bacterial in origin would it respond to the Locabiotol? Am I perhaps using it for too short a time or too little dose? The doc said I could use it. I never get colds or flu believe it or not, since I take Sportron Ultragard.

The sides of my mouth are continuously cracking as well. If I take any more vitamins I think I will burst. I take Ultragard, Procydin, Omega 3 & 6, Budeflam inhaler & nasal spray. What do you think this whole story is about. The doc feels that tests aren't necessary but I'm kind of not seriously sick but not well either. I also want to go back to gym but am afraid that I will get sick as a dog then.

ps. my nose is the bane of my life. Never mind what other people have done, I wish for a nose transplant...

SS, I have to agree that it doesn’t sound normal. I can’t really say what it is without examining you, but the fact that it responds to Locabiotal® doesn’t have to mean that it is a bacterial problem as it is antibacterial, antifungal and anti-inflammatory.
The easiest would probably be to see an ENT specialist and have it sorted out because all I can do from this side of the screen is to guess about what the cause might be. Good luck.