Question
Posted by: anxious | 2006/10/25

SINUS OP UPDATE

Hi CD

I'm back home! The whole procedures seem to go quite well. I seemed to be in theatre for quite a while - something like 1- 1,5 hrs and in recovery for a while - all I remember is they kept asking me "are u alright?!" what seemed to be every minute! - my ENT said I had such bad infected pus etc in my left cheeck and he did the 3 procedures and said I should notice a remarkable difference. I had gauze put in both sides and this am that was no fun when they took it out at 0600. In fact it was "bloody sore"!

I got bactroban ointment, Illiadian saline and Lentogesic and have to go back on 15 for follow-up visit. I also got nasal absorbers in case it bleeds again. I have to phone my ENT immediately if I get severe pain, severe bleeding or swelling or swollen glands or temperature and not wait until my appointment.

Hopefully this will help in fixing my sinus troubles!

Thanks for all the help.

Hi Anxious
I am really glad it went well - look after yourself now and take your medicine exactly as prescribed. Keep me posted!

3
Posted by: anxious | 2006/10/25

Have u been using Nasonex? My gp prescribed it often and it did work on most occasions - but wasnt working as well as before the last couple of days.

Reply to anxious
Posted by: anxious | 2006/10/25

I have had sinus trouble for years and years. I got regular sinus infections which often included any combination of sinus/chest/throat and sometimes (but not often) ears as well. I initially only got the problems in winter because of the horryfing dry air we have here in JHB but then I started getting it any time of year. I can tell you the symptoms with my eyes closed - sinus pain, horrible blocked nose with thick green mucuous - and always had to have antibiotic treatment - every time my gp sent me for sinus x-rays it never showed up anthing - which I always found so frustrating - until I finally went to my ENT 1st week Aug - he said my problem wasnt then a sinus problem it was just a post-nasal drip and my bad throat was from stomach acid reflux which was going back up into my throat. I got treatment and he said if I had any further sinus trouble to contact him and go for a sinus scan - then all my trouble showed up. I couldn't believe the scan report - it said the whole of my left side was so badly infected - my op consisted of:
Ethmoidectomy - opening up of all sinuses
Antrostomy - creating an opening in the maxillary sinus cavity
to help the sinuses drain better
D.P.P. - Deep proof puncture - draining all the sinuses

My ENT said I should notice dramatic improvement after a while.

Sorry for the long story!

Reply to anxious
Posted by: Brown Eyed Girl | 2006/10/25

Hi There
How long did you suffer with Sinus before you went for the op?
My ENT has put me on a Cortisone nose spray for 6 months, but I don't feel any better, in fact i'm really Struggling, feels like i've been punched in the head!
Any Advice would be great!

Reply to Brown Eyed Girl