Question
Posted by: Zelna | 2007/03/23

Sinus / hayfever

I have permanent hayfever which is causing my sinusse to enflame. I am basicly allegic to dust / dustmites / pollin / grass. Also whenever I drink/eat dairy products I also start to sneeze and have found a lot of mucus build up. Then I sit with this headache right behind my eyes and on my forehead and underneath my eyes then I usually go to the dr to get antibiotics. The stuff coming out of my nose is a nice brite green/yellow. What I want to know is what can I take to decrease the hayfever on a permanent basis so that I don't have to go to the doctor so much. This is usually throughout the year but obviously worse in spring.

Hi Zelna
Sniff and rinse your nose with saline twice a day to get rid of all the phlegm - you can buy this at the pharmacist or make your own with boiled cooled down water 1 cup and 1/2 tsp salt. Use luke warm. Try using Beconase aquous nosespray twice a day and Loratidine at night.

2
Posted by: Zelna | 2007/03/23

Thank you for response. I had surgery about 3 weeks ago for a sist in my jaw and did not enjoy it at all and now I am a little scared of operations, I throw up with aneastetic. Does it hurt , do they just remove all the mucus and stuff stuck inside you sinus channals. And then you wake up with some "watta" inside your nose.

Reply to Zelna
Posted by: anxious | 2007/03/23

Go to an ENT. Maybe you need a sinus scan. Have you ever had sinus x-rays? I had chronic sinus problems for years and years (it was never related to hayfever at all). Eventually late last year I got fed up - I kept getting sick and needing antibiotics, getting better and then getting sick again in the space of a few weeks. I eventually went to an ENT who eventually sent me for a sinus scan. I had such badly infected sinuses I had to have sinus surgery. This never showed up on any sinus x-rays I have had over the years. X-rays can miss problems that only show up in scans. So I am glad I had the scan. I had the surgery in Oct last year and since then its been heaven!

Ask your pharmacist for a good antihistamine like Zyrtec or Clarytine DoD and try using Illiadin Saline solution. The green mucuous is definite sinus infection, I should know I have had plenty of them! Together with that same, awful, headache! So I sympathise with you totally! You might need to see an ENT to fix this up long term - then this could result in your no longer having to keep going to your doctor for antibiotic treatment!

My ENT said the surgery he did should now prevent me from getting all the infections I kept getting winter after winter for years and years which was any combination of ear/throat/chest/sinus infections.

I am holding thumbs that this will be the case this winter!

Reply to anxious