Question
Posted by: anonymous | 2004/11/25

Sinus and Smelling problem.

I am a mother of 2 children,38 years old,and I am currently a student at UWC (CAPE TOWN),I have a big problem which is that I never smell anything,and I diagnosed sinus since 12years with a very painfull headach on one side.
Don't you think that this anomaly could be the cause ?what can I do to smell normally.
please help.

Anonymous, anosmia is another word for not being able to smell. Although sinusitis is a common cause of anosmia, it’s not the only cause. Congenital anosmia occurs as part of Kallmann’s syndrome, but you didn’t mention any other problems, so I don’t think it’s the problem. The causes of anosmia can be sub-divided under the following headings:
1. Swelling/obstruction in the nasal passages.
2. Damage to the olfactory neuroepithelium by viruses, drugs, systemic disease or tumours.
3. Damage to the olfactory nerve by head trauma, intracranial surgery, infections or tumours.
The best person to see about it would be an ENT specialist.. The next specialist to see would be a specialist physician and then maybe a neurologist. Good luck.