Posted by: Sinussy | 2007/07/26

Sinus and diet

Hi DietDoc

I am an allergic asthmatic all my life (well controlled on corticosteriods). However, I have a very troublesome nose and prone to sinus without the asthma component. Some time ago I had blood tests which show that I am borderline dairy and wheat intolerant. My mom raised me on alternatives to dairy so I do watch my calcium intake + take Caltrate and use soya milk in all but my tea and try not to overdo the wheat all.
However, I am almost constantly have sinus pain (no fever or infection) congested nose. The doc has given me antibiotics and a cortisone injection. I am really wondering if I need to change my diet drastically or if some particular food type could be aggravating me so badly? No allergy to shellfish or nuts by the way.
What other than dairy or wheat are the absolute worst for sinus and also what foods are really great? I did read your article on superfoods and try to eat from that selection daily.


Put it this way - I feel that my nose is purely ornamental!!!

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageDietDoc

Dear Sinussy
You seem to understand your condition well and are already doing a lot to prevent the sinus being caused by dairy products. It may help to also cut out milk in tea and all wheat (click on ‘Diet' and 'Allergy & intolerance' for more information on wheat allergy). You can also contact the Allergy Association by visiting their Website at: to find out more about wheat allergy. If cutting out all milk and wheat still does not improve the condition, then you need to go back for additional tests as there are many other allergens (house dust, house mites, grass, pollen, animal hairs, etc) that could be causing the sinusitis. You should also consult an Ear, Nose & Throat specialist about this chronic sinusitis because you may need additional treatment (e.g. a septum correction, etc).
Hope this clears up soon
Best regards

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.