Posted by: Keval | 2008/06/21

Hi, I have constant sinus infections. I was on anti-biotics every month this year. A day after stopping the anti-biotics my sinuses would block up again, I would get headaches, my ears are always blocks and painful and I get sore throats, postnasal drip and am often dizzy. I'm so sick of this. I am constantly put on different nasal sprays but they don't help. I noticed in the mirror now that I have horrible black circles under my eyes. I am sick of going to the doctor and paying R800 each visit for the doc visit and medicines. I feel like my life is being stolen because I'm always ill. My doc gave me an allergy test and it came back that I have inhalent allergy. To what I don't know but he put me on an anti-allergy. This doesn't help even a little bit.

Is there any hope for me to get better?

Thank you for visiting

There is an injection that you can get to prevent sinusitis for a period of up to six months. I do however, suggest that you consult an ENT specialist to have a CT of your sinusses done, in order to assess the extend of your sinusitis and to eliminate any co-morbid factors, i.e. nasal polyps. This will give a clear indication of how to treat your condition.

Kind regards

Posted by: Bronwyn | 2009/04/23

Good Day

I have been suffering from sinus infections for a s long as i can remember. The problem now is i wake up with a severe head ache and my mucous is thick dark yellow/brownish. I have been taking aspen cetirizine 1 a day along with pegasus homeopathic histamine. I need ot know is it something in my house or inm y room causing thses infections from reoccuring.

Also my daughter has allegy related ashma and is suffering as well.

Please help i am desperate

Reply to Bronwyn
Posted by: anxious | 2008/06/22

There is a substantial difference between 1 or 2 bouts of sinusitus and chronic sinus problems, which Keval clearly seems to have and continuing to take antibiotic treatment, no matter what it is is, it would seem, not going to fix his troubles once and for all. Keval needs to go to an ENT to sort this out.

Reply to anxious
Posted by: anxious | 2008/06/22

I dont believe it - you sound just like me! Seriously, I suffered chronic sinus trouble year after year after year and without fail I had 100% guarantee of getting sick EVERY winter. In July 2006 I had had this in chunks, I had already had 3 lots of sinus infections and antibiotic treatment and regular x-rays over the previous years never showed up any major problems, so I pleaded with my gp to send me to an ENT. I went to see him beg of Aug 2006 and at my first visit he said it didnt seem to be sinus as such, just post-nasal drip and because at the time I had very bad acid reflux giong back up into my throat (believe me at the time it was as if you poured acid down my throat it was burning so much!) he gave me medication for my throat and a nasal spray BUT he said if I continued to have sinus problems I must phone him and he would send me for a sinus scan. I already knew then it was my sinus troubles plaguing me, but I was happy to try his advice. In middle Oct I felt my sinus troubles coming up yet again, exactly the same syomptoms you describe, blocked stuffy nose, terrible sinus headaches etc. you know what I am talking about! So I phoned my ENT's rooms and went for the sinus scan. He was away at a conference at the time I went for my scan so I had to wait anxiously for the results But it was well worth the wait - sure enough my scan showed I had such badly blocked, infected sinuses, which never showed up on sinus x-rays. Let me tell you this may sound crazy, but I was over the moon. Why? Because I was FINALLY getting somewhere about dealing with this problem I had had for years and years. I had to have sinus surgery - I had an ethmoidectomy (opening up of my sinuses), antrostomy (creating of a drainage to allow my sinuses to drain) and a DPP (to drain my sinuses). My ENT said at the time it would go a long, long way to stopping me from continually being sick. I had NO idea how right he was. Last year was my 1st year EVER that I had NO sinus problems whatsoever during the entire year, never mind winter! My constant combination of any of my chest/throat/ear problems kept starting with my sinus trouble. So now Its pure heaven! Plus my ENT told me to use a cold steam humidifer during winter, which I am doing at the moment and it does help a lot. I had my surgery Oct 2006 and it was one of the best things I ever did! It would seem the surgery would have been of no use without that antrostomy, because if I had just had the other 2 procedures, my problems would have kept coming back, i.e. kept on being blocked up and getting re-infected again and again.

I am sorry for the long story, but PLEASE go to an ENT and ask for a sinus scan - I sympathise with you 100% - I know what you are going through, and its NOT pleasant. Perhaps you have a similar problem to what I had. Either way you need to see an ENT soon!

I plan to continue having plenty more glorious sinus-free years/winters!

Go to ENT and let me know what happens?.

Reply to anxious
Posted by: Kiev | 2008/06/21

My husband also has sinusitis, maybe you could try
Advril CS.

Reply to Kiev