Question
Posted by: Echelle | 2007/06/21

Single parent training for comrades?

I'm a 23 year old single parent and want to train for next year's comrades, but I don't know where to start and it's difficult to train with a child, is there any excercises I can do at home for this winter to get fit and then when it's summer to start by running 5km or so and then more the next week and so on, or would it be too late then? I have a jogger for my son to run with, but in the winter he will catch a cold more easily. Do you have any ideas for me?

Hi Echelle

Difficult one. I think that in principle, your approach of wanting to wait until Summer is the right one, because apart from the obvious practical reason (winter is cold), it's also too early to train for Comrades right now. And so what you should do, even with the weather as it is, is start getting into shape to run first 10 km, then 21 km then a marathon, then maybe Comrades. So your first objective should be to run a 10 km, and if you are currently able to run maybe 3 or 4 km, then a reasonable time frame is a couple of months. But without creating time to run during the week, it's going to be very difficult - not so much now, but in summer. To be realistic about htis, you are going to need an average of an hour a day, some days up to 4 hours. And that's great, I think you should go for it, but you have to figure out how to do this - the biggest barrier is going to be your time and that starts now.

As for home exercise, unless you can get a treadmill or a stationery bike, there is not much that will help you directly for running Comrades, so perhaps this is an option to look into?