Question
Posted by: Animal lover | 2004/11/19

SINGLE BIRD LAYING EGG

We have a Female Indian Ringnek in a cage. The last few weeks she has been scratching and trying to make a nest in her cage with the newspapers. Yesterday we noticed that she laid an egg. Is this normal for a bird who is alone? What should we do with the egg as I am certain that it would not develop. She is also not attending to it.

Please advise.

Female birds may lay eggs even if there is no male present provided they receive the correct stimulation - such as a high fat diet, nesting areas, photoperiod (longer daylight), the sound and sight of other birds (especially pairs), sexual stimulation while petting etc. Sometimes we never figure out why they start laying. I would leave the egg in, and allow her to lay a full clutch. If you keep on removing the eggs as she lays them, she might continue laying egg after egg, and so exhaust her body reserves (they CAN count, you know). To stop the laying you can try removing any nesting material and nesting areas, provide no stimulation to the abdomen, rump and under the wings when petting her, convert from seeds to a pelleted diet, and increase the photoperiod by 2-4 hours (ie ensure her cage is dark for 2-4 hours longer than it is now). If she turns into a pathological egg layer - ie lays continuously - you may want to try a hormone injection that will suppress it.
Dr Willemien van Wyk
Bird and exotic animal veterinarian

4
Posted by: bee | 2004/11/22

Chill, LOL

Reply to bee
Posted by: Chill | 2004/11/19

I had a -|- atiel that did the same... I put a few of the eggs in a little bowl, cos they looked so cute. Until the day a visitor thought they were sugared almonds........

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Billy | 2004/11/19

Just like hens, they lay eggs. Would have it sunny-side-up!

Reply to Billy
Posted by: Billy | 2004/11/19

Sunny-side-up, I would say!

Reply to Billy