Question
Posted by: concerned runner | 2007/08/14

SINCE COMRADES

Since having run comrades I have really not had much inclination to go running, which concerns me, as going for a run was what i looked forward to most, but lately, its become a mission and any excuse will do. Why do I feel like this, is it because the body is needing a major break from the 6 months of really strenous training or is that there is no more "major" running goal in mind. I set out to run a 50km on 2 September but doubt very much I'll get to the start as I have not put the right amount of training in. Any suggestions to get the running "bite" back would be appreciated. thank you.

HI there

Don't be concerned, it's not that unusual, it's only been two months and perhaps your body is telling you that you need a bit of a break from the sport. I would imagine that it was a good year long training period building up to Comrades, (with 6 months of really hard training), and that's a long time to be single minded and dedicated to one race, if that was the case. There is certainly a case to be made for post-race 'withdrawal' and malaise.

Overcoming it is a little more complex, the one obvious thing is to find the next goal. But that sounds a lot like someone with an addiction, seeking the next 'high', so it's probably not all that sustainable. I think that clever goal setting would help you though. For example, in your build up to Comrades, you may have done a few 21 km races. Perhaps your goal over the next 3 months can be to improve on that part of your running and then your running training takes on a new meaning? Or you can focus on 10km speed. But don't look for a specific goal that is too far away, becaus it's' difficult to pick yourself up so soon after the last one. So I'd say give the 50km a skip, it's likely to fall below expectations, the risk being you're even less motivated than before, and so give it a skip, try some new things and eventually the bug will bite again!

The other two things that help a lot are to be more social in your running - join a club, find a group etc, and then run with them. That can be highly motivating. And finally, try other exercise, like cycling, or swimming perhaps. Even if you don't enjoy it, it's a break from running and will make you hungry to return to running as soon as you can!