Posted by: Hels | 2008/06/10

I had the Mirena inserted two weeks ago. A smear and biopsy was done at the same time. Mirena inserted as I had bad side effects from Depo-Provera.
The results from the smear and biopsy came back abnormal and the gyne says I am at SIN III stage. He suggests a hysterectomy, saving my ovaries as I am only 39. Three years ago I had abnormal results but my cervix was lasered.
Is SIN III cancerous and do I need a hysterectomy.

The concern is that it could lead to cancer. You should have a colposcopy first or a cone biopsy before a hysterectomy is considered.

Posted by: Hels | 2008/06/11

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.
I am considering a second opinion as surgery was the last thing on my mind, especially the 4-6 week recovery period which I cannot afford away from work.
I have been doing so much reading on cervical cancer and was dissapointed to read that the trend seems to be surgery as the easy solution.
My other option was 'shaving' the affected area but was told that I would have to go for a check up every three months and the abnormal cells will return.

Reply to Hels