Question
Posted by: U2B | 2004/11/08

Similar to Suri's Post of mum not letting go...

Hi there, I'm turning 21 on the 23rd of November and is still living with my parents. My girlfriend and I have been dating for a year and a half now and my parents like her very much. Every now and then my parents and I get in a fight because they say that I'm always with her and never at home. I work from 8am - 6pm then I go to my girlfriends house and visit there until round about 9pm-10pm. On weekends I insist to go to my parents house where we visit the whole day, or the whole weekend.

I don't think they want me to see her that much because they don't want to let me go. My paents are not strict, but in this matter they are. What can I say/do to let this not happen. I've talked to them before and it will be better for a week then it is the same again...

Regards,
U2B

U2B, you sound as if you are responsible and fair in the amount of time you give to your parents and your gf. And I think you;re right, they're thinking, maybe selfishly without them realizing it is so, that this relationship looks serious enough that before long they could "lose" you to marriage and moving out from them. There's not much you can do other than talk to them, repeatedly, and maybe gradually \, veryu gradually, shift their attitudes.