Question
Posted by: KAZ | 2007/05/07

Simba going for the snip

This morning I had to take my dog Simba for the snip. Shame on Saturday we took him to the vet as he had a bad case of dermititus (spelling???) on his know where because he humps everything in site. Even poor ol' Ou Nooi gets it in the back or the on the side of her leg and she is spayed. He went balistic when Sasha came on heat but now that she is finished he doesn't even want to know her and he is always with Ou Nooi trying his luck.

So off I took the poor thing to the vet and he gave me some sticky something ointment to put on it 3 times a day and that Monday bring him in for the snip. So today my poor baby's gone in. The vet said that this kind of problem is common in unneutered male dogs, the dermititus I mean. I'll have to make him comfortable tonight in our bathroom because he sleeps outside with Ou Nooi and Sasha and it is getting cooler in the evenings.

Remember the hormones take a while to work out of the system so he will still be interested in females and make a nuisance of himself for about 6 weeks.

2
Posted by: KAZ | 2007/05/08

Well last night Simba was not in any mood for anything and feeling very sorry for himself. He didn't touch any food but not sure about the water though. Before he got snipped it was during the day he tried his luck at night he goes to his own bed. Ou Nooi sleeps in Simbas old tyre bed that my father made which was round now oval.

Sasha is turning 3 in August. I know that neutering or spaying a dog can extend there life expectancy dramatically. Both Sasha and Ou Nooi were concerned about Simba when he arrived home. Sasha was upset that he slept inside and she outside, I think that she feels like he is a "security blanket for her"

About your cat, glad he came home my late cat JT before he was snipped would go away for days at a time. At that time we were in a complex in Pietermaritzburg. I used to walk around the complex going kss kss kss, people thought I must have been nuts. LOL. At that time we only had him for 4 years, then one day after his many disapearances he came back with an abscess on his head. Huge. Duely I took him to the vet in the morning to have the abscess drained and moaned to the vet about his disappearances. She suggested the snip. The poor thing went there for an abscess draining and stitched up and found he had something down there snipped. He walked around the house like John Wayne for a couple of days. My husband kept calling him that. Shame Scruff is going to have the same done to him in the next month or so.

Keep in touch.

Reply to KAZ
Posted by: Joni | 2007/05/07

Kaz,

Seems like rough going at your house ;-)!!

You'll see once those hormones stop raging he'll be soo well behaved with none of those nympho tendencies and poor old Ou Nooi can get a decent nights rest and you wouldn't have to worry about Sasha.

Are you going to have Sasha done? How old is she?? Did you know that neutering and spaying can reduce their chances of getting some cancers and pyometria in females?

Reply to Joni