Question
Posted by: Ingrid Meine | 2004/10/25

Silicone poisoning detection

Please advise me where I may find a laboratory in South Africa that can test for silicone poisoning- what type of test/s are required- How is silicone that may have leaked from breast implants detected?

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Ingrid Meine,

This is a difficult one, as modern silicone implants consist of a cohesive gel - the consistency of jelly babies, so it is impossible for any leaking to take place. To determine whether there are any problems, an ultrasound is usually performed initially. However, a leak is not necessarily identified in this way, which means the only other option is surgery. For an implant to leak is extremely rare - 98% of removed implants are still intact.

An important aspect to remember, is that your body naturally forms a capsule or sealed-off area around the implant, which means that even if the implant leaked, the fluid would be contained within this capsule.