Question
Posted by: Desperate | 2006/04/12

Silicone catsand and kittens

I am desperately trying to get someone to rent my flat, but as I have a kitten at home while I work, the flat sometimes get very smelly before I can home. This puts many people off from taking the flat.The flat is very small so thats a big problem.

Someone has suggested I get silicone catsand as this really absorbs odours. My landlady breeds with cats and she says her kittens eat it and get sick from it. She says they eat normal catsand as well. Mine has never tried to eat the catsand and I'm desperate about the smell, so should I try it? Can she die from it?

I'm sorry I do not know the answer to this. I am not familiar with this particular type of sand. The best advice is to change the sand daily. Use a smaller amount and change it more frequently.

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town

6
Posted by: F | 2006/04/13

I have 2 cats (6 and 15 months) and they have only used the silicone litter and I have not had any problems.
What type of litter box do you have. When we first got our cat we bought the standard rectangle shaped type which does not have a cover over it as we did not know any better. We then found out you could buy the type which has cover over it and just a flap for the cat to enter which is a blessing because it seals in all the smells. It also comes with a filter on the top to keep out smells even further. If you are in Johannesburg, you can find this at the Cat Box.

Reply to F
Posted by: Kate | 2006/04/13

When one of my cats broke his leg & I had to keep him confined and decided to use the silicone catsand.
Wow the difference was amaizing - no yucky cat pee smell.
My Jack Russell puppies constantly made a dash on a daily basis to get a mouthful much to my horror.
The sometimes had gassy tums but no major problems.

Reply to Kate
Posted by: Annie | 2006/04/12

Hi Desperate,
We recently adopted a Siamese cat from animal welfare that also has this very strange habbit of eating the catsand. I have started using the new silicone cat sand about a week ago and it realy doesn't smell at all!! And to date, I haven't seen her eating this "sand". With normal catsand she used to scratch and scratch after she used the litter box, driving us mad, with most of the sand ending up on the floor next to the box. This has also stopped with the new silicone sand. We are very impressed, so try it. A bit expensive, (I have seen them between R30 - R45), but last longer, and is realy worth a try!
I heard a friend say that her cat has taken such a liking to this new stuff in his litterbox that he now sleeps in it as it is always dry and cosy, strange but true!
Good Luck, let us know how the silicone works for you.

Reply to Annie
Posted by: Helen | 2006/04/12

Hi I agree fully with Sheryl, I am a HUGE fan of silicone sand, it works wonders, we stay in a loft unit, so no garden, and my house doesnt have any urine smell at all!!! Its amazing, and I have 2 cats!!!! Try it!

Reply to Helen
Posted by: Sheryl | 2006/04/12

Hi Desperate

I'm also a fan of the silicone type - another very good one for
odours is the ultrafine one by Lopis for cats and kittens with
sensitive paws - it is also very easy to clean because it forms
clumps - I mainly use the silicone one but I have come across two
cats - one mine and one my sisters who don't like the feel of it
and will use the carpet or lounge suite if I don't make the other
sand available - I think this is the exception though - they are both old cats - I've found that kittens quite like the fine litter.
I've never had kittens eating litter either so I can't be of any help
there Good Luck

Reply to Sheryl
Posted by: Shadow | 2006/04/12

I've never heard of kittens eating cat litter. Can't say how dangerous that would be, but I tried the crystal-type litter for the first time this month and it's great. It dries immediately, no more pee-mud in the litterbox. Because it lasts a month, it should cost the same as the ordinary clay litter in the long run. It's worth a trym, you could always remove it if your kitten tries to eat it.
My adult cats took to it immediately, although it doesn't look like sand at all.

Reply to Shadow