Question
Posted by: Susan | 2007/12/03

signs of arthritis

I have a 10 yr old jack russel. I can notice in some area's that she is getting old like sleeping more, gets tired quicker when you play with her etc. I would like to know what are some of the sign for arthritis in dogs. Eddie has never been one to complain of any pain but I would like to be sensitive towards her age and all else that goes with that.

Slow rising and exercise intolerance, and difficulty climbing stairs etc are all signs of uncomfortable joints. There are neutriceuiticals available from your Vet or Vet Shop that can reduce discomfort.

1
Posted by: Jenn | 2007/12/06

I just read an article on health24 regarding a dog food developed by Hills, for arthritic dogs. Go to the "Pet" link, then "New research" and then read the article "Gene diet helps arthritic dogs". Here is an extract from the article: "A new dog food literally blocks off the genes that produce cartilage-destroying enzymes and protects the joints from further damage. It reduces the pain and slows down the disease, keeping your dog on the move." I found it interesting. Apparently Omega 3 also helps.

Reply to Jenn