Question
Posted by: muffin | 2007/05/21

sick of the kids

that probably sounds awful, but I am..it's been raining all weekend, dh was away at the rugby (lucky bum), have been struggling to entertain them (3 1/2 and 1 year old), they have been sleeping badly, dd wants to climb in with me at night then cries when I say no and wakes up her brother, basically I woke up this morning and told dh I am sick of the kids and want to go away for a while. Am I normal??? Sound like a bad mother don't I
:-(

Under the circumstances you describe, who would NOT get sick of the kids. Its important to transform them asap into self-entertainers, not lumps who sit around and expect US to entertain them. You sound like an abnormally normal mother !

5
Posted by: DR. | 2007/05/21

Hey there mommy. Please feel free to leave your young ones with me for an hour or so while you do your thing (just don't let that thing be baby making!). I'm a very child friendly person, although many believe the opposite.
Yours in great parenting,
Dina Rodriques.

Reply to DR.
Posted by: RMC | 2007/05/21

perfectly normal! Go do something arbitrary and chill for a while.

Reply to RMC
Posted by: muffin | 2007/05/21

good to hear that, yes I think I need to go for a massage or something, some kind of brainless activity where I don't have to respond to hours and hours of demands/whining/tantrums. thanks

Reply to muffin
Posted by: Bee | 2007/05/21

You sound completely normal to me. This weekend I asked my husband to take our 15 month old son out with him for the whole day so that i could go to a movie and do my own thing. I was just so tired of the whining and him clinging to my legs! I wanted to scream.

Reply to Bee
Posted by: Joy | 2007/05/21

Shame, no man, it's normal. You know it just bores me when parents make it seem like parenting is the best thing ever, especially when they've got difficult kids! I'm like WHAT?! You've got to be kidding! Its the best experience ever but lets not kid ourselves, they are bloody naughty at times and you just want to throw them against the wall! But you dont! because you love them and they are yours, your flesh and blood, your babies! Bad moms react on their impatience and anger, good moms, bare it and realize how precious they are when their good again. Maybe you need a bit of a break thats all - and that too is completely normal. And besides, you'll miss them terribly when you're gone on your break, which is another sign of what a good and capable mom you are.

Reply to Joy