Question
Posted by: Emma | 2007/11/30

Sick of being sick

Dear Doc,

I am 51 and right now I am desparate to improve my life, but I don't know how to start doing so. I am a terrible mess mentally and physically. I have been to see a shrink this year. She said I have GAD. I should be taking Venlor XR for this, but I have not started on those yet. Physically I had middel and inner ear infections, plus a virus infection. This was at the beginning of the year. This past month I had a kidney and bladder infection and now tension headaches daily. I have been taking all kinds of medication for all these ailments. Plus I have a hiatius hernia.

I live alone, work 8 hours a day sitting in an office. I don't eat well and I don't sleep well. I know I need to excercise, but I have CP and find that difficult to do on my own. Although I have had CP all my life, I have never been this sick before. I am also about 12kg overweight.

Where and how do I start to improve my well being? I don't want to take medication all the time, plus I don't have the money to spend on shrinks, physio, doctors and meds all year long.

I need someone to give me good advice and not just a doc who will give me medication for everything I suffer from, there must be an alternative to getting better. Right now I feel it would be easier if I were 6 feet under!!

Where can I turn to for help and advice?

Dear Emma

Thank you for visiting health24.com.

I suggest that you start with a well balanced diet, as well as lots of exercise, even it may be difficult. You will just have to force yourself to find physical well being. This will not only improve your general health but will also assist you with loosing weight and to be mentally stable.

You can visit a Physician to have blood tests done to find out if you have any iron or vitamin B12 deficiencies. You will also be able to test your thyroid to make sure that this organ is in order.

Good luck.

1
Posted by: aNNa | 2007/12/01

Hi Emma,

I also struggled with sorting out the exercise thing, but I started walking up and down the stairs at the office, then during my lunchtime and now I walk almost 4 kms a day. I also do stretches for about 15 mins in front of the TV - it has made a great deal of a difference.

Re the diet thing - just start by adding 2 fresh fruits and 4 glasses of water a day, and cut down on sugar - 1 spoon instead of two etc. In a couple of weeks you should start to feel a change and then you can increase your excercise, change your diet a little more. Slowly but surely - and success breeds success. Let us know how it goes.

Reply to aNNa