Posted by: naz | 2011/09/27

Sick leave for stress

Hi there

I need to know if a GP can book a patient off for stress for 3 months without a referral to a psychologist or other specialist?


Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberDoc


Yes, it can be done. GP's are trained to make the right decision that is best for the patient.


Dr Anrich

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Kasandra | 2011/09/28

Hi Naz

Didnt want to step on toes, just from my own experience my GP did help me by giving me some anxiety tablets to help me cope but then I was referred to physchologist which helped me deal with emotional break down and then motivated why I need to be booked off on sick leave. For me its was to get help in that period to deal with the emotional break down, depression and anxiety.

Anxiety and Anti Depressants (pills) have there place BUT learning through therapy how to deal with these situation is the best solution. CBT Therapy is very beneficial.

Some people esp in the work place dont always understand the term stress anxiety or depression. Just for that reason I think its better to get maybe your GP and specialist / physchologist to help you.


Reply to Kasandra
Posted by: naz | 2011/09/27

thanks dr. andrich and kasandra

just as your opinions differ, i am getting different views on the matter... my GP advised that there is nothing ''illegal'' for a GP to book a patient off for 3 months, the matter is at the discretion of the GP (which is of concern to me), but in most instances it would be related to a referral to a physchologist, for example. she did advise that a GP cannot make that assessment in a 15 minute session and would need to spend more time with the patient. if the patient had been seeing a pyschologist the GP should have all this doctor''s information on file, info about how long the patient had been seeing the doctor, etc...

a referral to a specialist seems logical to me but this is the second doctor with the opinion that the matter is discretionary.

Reply to naz
Posted by: Kasandra | 2011/09/27

Highly unlikely. You will have to be diagnosed with severe anxiety or depression which I am sure needs to be confirmed and treated by a psychologist or specialist, as treatment need to be discussed and followed through.

I was booked off for 4 weeks but had to see psychologist which diagnosed me and then helped me get better.

Your GP can give you a referral and you can take it from there.

Good luck.

Reply to Kasandra

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.