Question
Posted by: ruby | 2008/05/28

Sick Leave

Good Morning Everyone,

I am sorry to bother you guys with this question, but I really need urgent advise on this.

By law, is it necessary to submit a doc certificate if you are off work due to illness for just one day? I have a copy of the Labour Law but it's not very clear on this subject.

Please can anyone advise me.

I don't think it's laid down by law, but any company policy, if reasonable, would apply. But others here far more knoqwledgeable about such things, can tell you better than I

8
Posted by: Zola | 2008/05/29

The policy where I work is that a sick note is only requied after 3 days. But my boss called me to order when I took 1 day off and said you cannot book yourself off even for a single day, only a doctor can book you off. So, to keep the peace I always bring a sick note even for flue.

Reply to Zola
Posted by: Ruby | 2008/05/28

Thank you for all your advise and info. In my case it's not the Company that's pity but the HR lady. We don't see eye to eye and she always tries to nail me on some or other thing but I always see to it that I do my things by the book and that frustrates her even more.

I will speak to the HR manager tomorrow and sort this out.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

Reply to Ruby
Posted by: anon | 2008/05/28

Basic conditions of employment act stipulates you only require a Dr note after 2 consecutive days or a monday or a friday. whether your co has policies or not they cannot disregard the law. However if you are sick on a regular basis within a certain period they can request a Dr note

Reply to anon | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: Anonymous | 2013/08/15

the basic conditions of employment do not make reference to a monday or a friday.

Posted by: Gracie | 2008/05/28

The company I work for also requests a certificate should a person take off on a Monday, Friday, before or after a public holiday as there are staff members who develop the most horrific illnesses before or after a weekend and now thanks to that, we are all required to submit doctor's notes even though we were really ill. I personally bring a doctor's note should I go to the doctor before work or when I leave early to go to a doctor, although that is not required!

Reply to Gracie
Posted by: Vibrant | 2008/05/28

Hi Ruby - we request dr's notes if sick on monday or friday or before or after a public holiday, if the person has been sick more than 2 days during the week, however, we have asked for sick notes from people who abuse their sick leave, like take a day off nearly every week. If you are not abusing your sick leave then your company is just being petty!

Reply to Vibrant
Posted by: Ruby | 2008/05/28

Thank you CS and Babe. I also had it like you said but now the HR girl wants a sick note from my dr. from yesterday.

You see the thing with this company where I work is that they have NO company policies or anything. They just make up rules as they go along and we must just obey by them. But after 12 years working here, I just ignore them.

I will just go now and tell the HR Manager that by Law I don't have to submit a certificate for 1 day and if he wants to change the rules, he must put it in writing and let us all know.

Have a lovely day everyone.

Reply to Ruby
Posted by: Babe | 2008/05/28

I worked at 3 companies so far and at all 3 u were had only to submit a certificate after 2 days sick leave but had to submit it if u were sick on a monday or friday evn if u ere off 4 just 1 day

Reply to Babe