Question
Posted by: cg | 2005/05/31

Sick Hamster

Hi there,
My one hamster has got one "pink eye" the eylids are swolen and they eye looks pinksish... Is their anythng we can do to make the eye better?

There are several things that can be wrong with the eye, including infection, glaucoma and irritation. I suggest you get a vet to have a look at him, as antibiotic ointment or other treatments may be needed. In the meanwhile - clean the eye with a wet cotton ball ( dip the cotton wool in a solution containing 1 tsp of salt in 1 cup of lukewarm water), clean the cage out thoroughly (a buildup of ammonia in the cage will cause severe irritation of the eyes and respiratory tract - if you can smell it, imagine what it feels like living literally on top of that soiled litter) and replace all sawdust with newspaper or towel roll, which should be changed daily (you can leave a small amount of smelly litter for scent security, usually in the nest box). Be careful in which antibiotics are used - hamsters can react very badly to certain types.

Dr Willemien van Wyk
Bird and exotic animal veterinarian