Question
Posted by: Lizzie | 2010/07/22

Sick Dog

Our 14 yr old JR Terrier was as frisky and healthy as a 4yr old 10 days ago but suddenly became apathetic and bloated. We took him to the vet and he put him onto Fortekor for Grd 4 heart murmur plus Rimadyl. He then deteriorated and his eyes started to droop and leak and he stopped being able to jump onto the couch or run although he still ate well and had no temperature or vomiting etc. He also started to salvivate mildly and makes a strange whistling sound when he breathes as if he''s experiencing difficulty. Back to the vet and blood tests were done which came back normal except for an elevated pancreas/liver count. Now he''s on Ranclav and Heptonic and we were told to stop Rimadyl. Two days later he''s worse than ever and now holds his body in a twisted way, struggles with his daily walk on the beach and cant manage steps. Also refusing food today. Our vet has gone away on holiday and now we''re feeling desperate.

Hi Lizzie

Ok. I cannot comment to much on this case as I have not conducted a clinical examination.

Generally if I detect a cardiac mumur I listen to see if there is pulmnary congestion of the lungs. I generally put the animal on Vetmedin and frusemide. If there is pulmonary congestion then you will hear the dog coughing. This could account for the exercise intolerance.

With regard to the liver/pancreas. Routine chemistry of the liver generally just looks at ALT and ALKP. ALT is liver specific in that it is elevated with hepatocyte damage (liver cells) - note it does not tell you the amount of damage nor does it tell you that anything regarding liver function - to access this you need to do other testing. The pancreatic enzymes can be elevated if there is hepatitis as the pancreas is in close proximity to the liver - however please note that the these results are not reliable and it maybe advisable to do a Pancreatic lipase immunoreactivity test (this is a far better test.

If failing this the best way in the hands of a an experienced clinician would be to do an ultrasound scan of the abdomen to see if there is anything unusual.

If your vet is on hoilday then get a referral to see another practice / medical specialist.

3
Posted by: Chill | 2010/07/23

Geez, Susan - take a chill pill.

One thing I will say is: if this dog is as old and ill as he seems, I wouldn''t be taking him for a ''daily walk'' on the beach, or making him negotiate steps. If you''re ill you stay in bed - give him a break from exercise too.

I can quite imagine you''re feeling desperate - you need to find a vet who isn''t on holiday.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Susan | 2010/07/23

GO TO ANOTHER VET! OBVIOUSLY YOUR VET IS USELESS!

Reply to Susan
Posted by: CyberVet | 2010/07/22

Hi Lizzie

Reply to CyberVet