Question
Posted by: SAM | 2006/10/30

Sick Budgie, what to do?

Hallo, my son has two budgies. One is very young, almost a year, the other one is about 1 1/2 years old. I noticed that the older one is very passive today, with pooh sticking to his tail feathers. Our previous budgie had the same symptoms, and it only took a few days before he died. The older budgie is looking for comfort or warmth from the younger one. He is also a bit puffed up. My mother gave him some antibiotics from the petshop. What is wrong with him? I really don't want him to die, for it would break my son's heart. Does he have a tummy bug, or what? What can I give him. They only get budgie seeds and water. Please help, it was quite painful to see the previous budgie suffer and eventually die. We don't want to go through all that again. Thank you.............

Bst have him checked by your vet as he may need some antibiotic treatment.

2
Posted by: Chill | 2006/10/31

I agree, he needs to go to the vet. In the meantime, it might have been an idea to separate them, in case it's something infectious - guess it would be too late for that now. Also, when a bird is sick, it needs warmth, absolutely no draught, and a little privacy, by half-covering the cage with a blanket or cloth, which will also keep the draughts away.

When you do take him to the vet, cover his cage too, to minimise the stress for him.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Buffs | 2006/10/30

why dont you take it to the vet?

Reply to Buffs