Question
Posted by: chantal | 2007/03/12

sick baby

my son, 1, is still sick. He was at the paed last Monday who said he has a very bad cold and is very congested, but no infections, we have been using saline spray for his nose. It's a week later and that nose is still streaming, sometimes yellow, is this just normal? he is also very grumpy, I don't know what to do anymore.

Dear Chantal
The streaming nose and even yellow colour can be "normal" for a viral infection or a cold, but if he is feverish or seems to have earache or a wet cough I think you should take him back for a follow-up visit. If not, try giving him some Sudafed/Demazin syrup 2.5 ml three times a day and Illiadin ped nosedrops every 12 hours?

4
Posted by: chantal | 2007/03/12

thanks ladies, have chatted to his paed who has prescribed an antibiotic, says its going on too long and they are now scared of infections developing. feel better!

Reply to chantal
Posted by: Cornel | 2007/03/12

Hi there! my bb is 22 months old and ADCO-SUFFEDRIN helps to clear up the running nose! give him a bit of Panado every now and then - it can't hurt and remember, if you have a headache you want a pil, and bb can't tell you when he is not feeling well, so a bit of Panado will soothe him.

Good luck!

Reply to Cornel
Posted by: Lou | 2007/03/12

If the mucus is not clear, that usually indicates an infection - suggest you take him back to the Paed. In little ones a cold can turn into pneumonia in a day or two, better not to take any chances.

Reply to Lou
Posted by: anxious | 2007/03/12

It would seem that the running of the nose is a good thing, i.e. the nose is starting to become unblocked. Illiadin saline solution is very good and can be used daily without any problems. Have you tried giving him stopayne or panado syrup? Maybe the congestion was worse than you thought!

Hope he gets better soon.

Reply to anxious