Question
Posted by: C | 2004/02/19

Sick and tired of negative response to cats

Hi. I am sick and tired of people having negative attitudes towards my cats. I have 7 well-groomed, sterilized, healthy cats and I am 6 months pregnant. My fiance and I adore our pets (which includes 2 dogs too) and yet we are constantly told that cats are dirty and should not be around babies, cats maul babies, cats try to kill babies, and also that cats are full of diseases and we would be bad parents to keep our cats. I have even been told to have them all put down as it would be "kinder". Now, my cats are aged from 2 years to 7 years old. They were all homeless at some stage, except 1, and we took them in. We stopped at 7 because we can comfortably afford to feed them expensive food and pay vet bills when necessary. They are flea-free, tick-free, all tagged and worm-free. They are confined at night for safety reasons (as are my dogs) and they are probably cleaner than some people I know. I will never get rid of them - they are family - but why are people doing this to me? I have not even had this baby and I am already accused of being a bad mother. Please give me FACTS on cats so I can fight back, because I am sick of seething in silence when these uneducated fools start on their mission to save my baby. Bearing in mind that I am educated and I know cats very well, and, of course, I would never leave ANY animal alone with a small baby. I am also aware of the disease toxoplasmosis and I know unwashed fruit/vegetables as well as raw meat can carry the same disease. I use gloves when cleaning litter boxes. These same people that have so much to say about the cats are quite happy to smoke in my face, by the way.

Hi C
I hear this is not about cats. Having babies does this to other people and it's only just starting, I'm afraid - all the advice! I suggest you relax and ignore all the advice and do what you think's best for your baby. Say yes to everything you hear and then do your own thing. Having pets is good for chidren for many reasons. Your cats are part of your family and are no more risky than dogs or dust or soil. Other people want to feel like they care and thus try to protect your baby for you, so tell them (in a nice way) to push off because you are the mother and you are doing what you know best. Remind them that they were once first time mothers/fathers and how irritating it was for them. As you say, passive smoking is much worse for your baby than cats are! You need to relax and enjoy your pregnancy......
Karen Gray-Kilfoil
ANIMAL BEHAVIOURIST

6
Posted by: Sara | 2004/02/23

I have 2 cats and THEY are my babys Spe spe is 5 months old and Zabby is 7 months old.. my fiance and i love them more than anything else in the whole world Id never get rid of them they r the most important members of my family.. I cant imagine life without them any more!!

Reply to Sara
Posted by: Mommy too | 2004/02/22

Hi The Vet is right-the problem has nothing to do with the cats! You will hear all sorts of advice (Usually from people who don't even have babies!!!). My mom did have 3 miscariages due to toxoplasmosis

Reply to Mommy too
Posted by: Carol | 2004/02/20

Never mind .. you are going have to learn to disregard 99 % of all this garbage .. and it is garbage ..i raised three kids complete with cats , dogs and bunnies etc .. mysiamese cat slept at my daughters feet from day one until the day he died at the age of 17 ... he never hurt her ... my kids all cut their teeth on my ridgebacks ears and tail .. and she was devoted to them until she died at the age of 14.

My kids are healthy and well adjusted.

You have to decide what is important to you and your family , if it doesnt bug you about your kitties and there is no reason why they should be aproblem then to blazes with the neighbours

Reply to Carol
Posted by: Carol | 2004/02/20

My kids are healthy and well adjusted.

Reply to Carol
Posted by: chill | 2004/02/19

What intrigues me is why your happiness should be dependent on the opinions of other people. You're an adult, and that means you get to make your own decisions in life.

Those who offer advice or opinions which have not been asked for are just plain rude, intefering busybodies and should be disregarded..

Shrug it off and get on with your life!

Reply to chill
Posted by: Jacqui | 2004/02/19

I think that its up to you what you want to do about the cats. You will probably find that they adapt very nicely to the baby! I myself had three cats when I had my son and the only negative thing to happen was that my persian was very jealous - but never to the point of harming the baby...he just got it in his head to "mark' whatever was the baby's (blankets etc) and we decided to re-home him with a friend. They fortunately got on so well we didnt ever have the heart to ask for him back although we did visit alot!

I'm sure you'll be fine. As to those friends telling you what to do - the best advice I can give you is to say thanks for the thoughts and do whatever it is you please in the end - dont argue - it just gets your blood pressure up.

Reply to Jacqui