Posted by: Anxious | 2009/06/15


Hi Doc

We went to Cape Town 2nd last week May for about 10 days. The weather was terrible - it rained all the time and was windy and freezing (what' s Cape Town without its lovely wind?!) When we got home my parents got sick - they went to our gp and got antibiotic treatment just before he went away - 04 June. I was couging at the time but didnt feel sick enough at the time to go to him - but by Fri am I was off to his locum - I was coughing all night Thurs with a terrible phlegm cough. He said I had very bad phlegm on my chest, a red throat and congested ears. I got a Celestone-Soluspan inj, Orolox, interflora and Loratadine. I have coughed my lungs out all the past week, distressing me especially at night. My gp was back today, so I went straight away, as I am no better. He said I still had very bad phlegm on my chest - now have Ketek, Pulmison 20mg for 5 days and Mucospect. Had a blood test. Have to phone Wed for results and go back Thurs for check-up. My question is - he seemed convinced I had mycoplasma infection, as my mom seems to have. My blood tests were CRP, blood count and Mycoplasma test. When I phoned him this pm about something else, he said my blood count was normal?! Isnt this a bid odd, i.e. if I am this sick wouldn' t the levels be up - even if only a bit? Dont know other results yet - will get them Wed.

Thanks for the help.

PS Sorry I don' t like your new site - old one was much nicer!

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberDoc

Dear Anxious
I also like the old site more...but the IT boffins is in charge here and I am IT-challenged so who am I to critizise!
Blood count can be fairly normal with a upper respiratory infection and if you did not react to the Orelox the chances that you picked up a Mycoplasma infection is possible. The Pulmison should help though. Maybe you should also steam yourself a bit to loosen the phlegm and keep your airways moist.
Dr Bets

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.