Question
Posted by: Shirley | 2004/10/18

Siamese Compulsive Behaviour

I had my Siemese female cat spayed about 2 months ago. The cut healed well and stiches were removed. Subsequent to this she has started licking this area to the extent that it has formed open sores. She has been back and forth to the vet and we have tried everything, bandages, plasters, hood,s to no avail. She manages to get everything off and the wounds are not healing. I have had ointments, and a bitter sprays but nothing seems to deter her from licking. Any suggestions ?

She may be reacting against the suture materials. Even the routine nylon suture materials that will not cause problems in thousands of animals, may cause problems in individuals. In that case, the suture material will have to be removed. This is an unpredictable problem in a very small percentage of patients.

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town

2
Posted by: Carol | 2004/10/19

Now theres an interesting thing i learnt today ??? thanks for sharing

Reply to Carol
Posted by: Blue | 2004/10/19

Hi Shirley. I have heard of a very similar story however concerning a dog. The owner too had her sterilised and not long after recovery, her dog started licking the wound, the wound became infected etc etc. After many vet visits and vet changes, they discovered that the dog was in fact allergic to the stitch used. There is obviously internal stitches and the dog had an allergic reaction to those. The owner said that the wound area was always warm. Anyway, they performed another operation and removed the stitches and she is 100% fine now. Perhaps worth investigating. Good luck.

Reply to Blue