Posted by: very-very-scared | 2009/05/05

Sh*tting myself, literally.

Rather embarrassing problem. I go to an anxiety support group, and get very nervous beforehand. Cold hands, feeling nauseous, shaky, can' t swallow, cramps etc. Usually I spend a fair bit of time in the bathroom before I go. The last time, I got to the place where the group is held, but couldn' t make it to the bathroom on time. I mean, it was only ten seconds away, but no way I could make it. The group helps, but now i' m too scared to go back. i know that many other people have had this experience and although it helps to know that i' m not alone, i honestly do not want to repeat this. should i just phone and say that the nervousness of coming is making it impossible? i have lots of over-the-counter anti-anxiety stuff but it doesn' t do anything. and there isn' t going to be time to get a psychiatrist appointment before the next group, in the case of needing something prescribed.

the thing is, i was no more nervous than usual. i just didn' t time everything exactly right. how can i know it won' t happen again?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberShrink

Gosh, it's a shame if your Anxiety Support group makes you anxious ! Have you discussed this with them ? How do other members handle this nervousness ? Such social anxiety responds well to treatment, and though I support the value of support groups, they are no substitute for competent treatment, which should in your case probably include CBT ( Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ) and possibly some medication.
As for reducing the tendency towards nervous diarrhoea, an over-the-counter remedy I find often works was called Chamberlain's Colic Mixture ( I think they have recently changed the name for complex and silly reasons ) ; a bright orange liquid, where you have a little in some warm water a few hours earlier, and it tends to calm and soothe the raging guts

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.