Question
Posted by: Meg | 2004/10/28

Shoulder Width

I have been training for the past 3 months now and follow quite a healthy eating plan. I have noticed though that my shoulders tend to go broader. I do basic 45 minute cardio 4 times a week with about 15 minutes resistance training which basically focus on my legs and triceps as well as stomach exercises is there any way reverse this by actually making my shoulders more narrow.
Please help as I am afraid I might start looking manly

Hi Meg

The training certainly does not sound to me like it is what is responsible for the shoulders getting broader in the first place. Unless you are doing specific sessions which target the shoulders, which it does not sound as though you are doing. Therefore, it is hard to say why the shoulders are appearing larger - perhaps it is due to some weight loss elsewhere. As for reducing the size, not too much you can do, if the problem is the skeleton frame. Obviously, if you are doing your resistance training with very heavy weights, then the first thing to do is to reduce the size of the weight you are using, and lift lighter. This often makes the difference, but if the problem is not muscle but your frame, then there is not much to do, but just work with what you have. I don't think that you will become manly though - this happens if you do serious weight lifting and training and you are not. So, just keep up the cardio work and keep going with the lighter weights and it will take care of itself

GOod luck